Tuckaseegee White Water Rafting and Tubing – About Dillsboro River Company
Founded by expert paddler, Shane Williams, Dillsboro River Company is a family-run business in Dillsboro, western North Carolina, located right on the banks of the Tuckaseegee River.
About the Owner, Shane Williams
Shane Williams, Owner and Operator
A veteran of wilderness-based trips and graduate of Western Carolina University (Bachelor of Science in Parks and Recreation Management with major emphasis in Outdoor Education.)
Shane has led a variety of water-based programs since 1992 throughout the Southeastern US and Central America. As river guide and instructor, he guided on section 4 of the Chattooga; trained new incoming river staff at all levels; and led canoeing, kayaking, and river rescue clinics at all levels. During this time, he also led multi-day and multi-adventure boating trips on the Rio Sico of Honduras, as well as multi-adventure programs in Panama. Shane trained Staff and developed Risk Management Plans for Clachie Rafting based in Montego Bay Jamaica. He also explored and developed commercial river trips in the Port Antino and the Blue Mountains of Jamaica.
Family-Run Tuckaseegee Rafting and Tubing Company
Shane spent several years as the Outdoor Programs Coordinator of Western Carolina University Student Affairs Division and then founded the Dillsboro River Company in 2001. DRC is the lifelong dream of Shane and his wife, Kim, to own and operate a family rafting company. Owning and operating DRC has allowed Shane the privilege to teach a great deal in the off-season. As well raise his two sons in the paddle sports industry. Many days you will find Shane leading a trip on the Tuck with son James running out front showing everyone his way of getting down the river, and Kim and younger son Josh checking folks in or doing a safety talk. “I couldn’t imagine my life any different working and playing with my family on the river,” says Shane.
Expert Paddler, Professional Guide, Certified Whitewater Instructor
- Instructor for the Wilderness Medicine Institute for the National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) and Landmark Learning
- Wilderness EMT (Assistant Instructor)
- Wilderness First Responder (Lead Instructor)
- Wilderness First Aid (Lead Instructor)
- Rescue 3 Advanced Swift Water Technician Instructor
- Rescue 3 Technical Rope Rescue Instructor
- South Western Community College Adjunct Instructor Outdoor Leadership School
- American Canoe Association Swift water Rescue Instructor Trainer
- ACA Canoe, and Kayak Instructor
- American Heart Association Instructor and American Safety Health Institute Instructor
- 6th Year Member of the Jackson County Search and Rescue Squad
- Board Member for The Jackson County Travel and Tourism Authority and the Jackson County Greenway Commission.
- Recipient of the WLOS Channel 13 G.I.F.T. Hero Award